Who are we? We are our stories. We are our pictures

Saturday, December 10, 2011

The Galmozzi In the Growlery

We finished hanging the sheetrock a couple of days ago and this afternoon I got one coat of primer on most of it before I ran out of paint. We're taking suggestions on eventual color. Disregard the window, I will be completely refurbishing and trimming them out when it warms up again next Spring. Check out the wall mount speakers. I'm pretty happy with them. They sound pretty darn good considering the diminutive dimensions of the space. The Galmozzi is sitting about where the workbench will eventually go next Spring after I get the flooring down. Slowly progressing.  

1968 Galmozzi
I think it looks pretty good.  It has that bolt together busy look of the old Campagnolo equipped bikes, kind of a nice change of pace from the lean, spare look of the '82 McLean. Most of the components are Patent  '68 to '72. There are two or three things that are not "pure" but they were all conscious decisions - for instance, the brake pads.




The vintage I.S.C.A. wraps had very nice finishing tape with World Championship stripes. Unfortunately they were brittle and the 40 year old glue was just gum.  I finally gave up and just wrapped a couple of turns of white tape around and wrapped another turn of narrower blue tape over it. Looks just like I intended it to be that way. The corks are NOT from Italian wine. 



___________________________________________________
Universal Super 68s. I ended buying two rough sets and combining them to get one fairly clean set. The hoods were purchased separately. Because of their age, most old blocks are as hard as stones so I cut down modern Kool Stops which were sized for vintage Campagnolo holders. They obvious aren't going to fool anyone, but at least they are close to the original color and more importantly, they will work. Brakes just don't strike me as a place to be period correct.

The stem is a first generation 3ttt Mod.1 Record Strada. The decals were flaking so I bought a replacement set from Greg Softley. Originally I thought I would be using fabric wraps, but then I scored these vintage I.S.C.A. vinyl wraps. These tie in nicely with the I.S.C.A. saddle. And what can I say? they're blue. The bars are 3ttt Competizione with the optional Gimondi bend which have a nice old school feel to them. It probably doesn't show up in the photos, but wine corks have been installed in the bar ends. 

I.S.C.A. (Iscaselle) saddle. Every bit as nice as a Cinelli - so similar I suspect they came out o the same factory. The Selle San Marco G.S. post may not be quite period correct, probably mid to late 1970s, but it's so damned rare NOBODY seems to be certain. I already owned it, it fit the seat tube, and I'm using it. ;-)

Campagnolo Nuovo Record pedals and blue Binda straps. I used Balilla toe clips, only because I wanted to keep it as Italian as possible and I may be wrong, but I don't believe Campagnolo was making toeclips at this time. (Any other info welcome.) 

Campagnolo cable clips and vintage Campagnolo cable housing.
Patent '72 Campagnolo Nuovo Record derailleurs. The front is so close to NOS it must have be on a demo or show bike. Used very gently. The rear is still good, but the top pivot is dinged a little and there some wear on the plates - all replaceable and available. Maybe someday.

Campagnolo NR shifters and bottom cable guides. 

REG bottle cage. What can I say about a bottle cage? Except it's Italian and I have a white Campagnolo labeled REG bottle to stuff in it. 

Campagnolo Nuovo Record Strada crankset. A technicality: this is not a '72. It is 1979. There was a slight change in 1978, slightly more clearance to clear the lip type derailleur front plate, but I doubt anyone could tell without looking at the number stamps on the back of the crank arms or measuring it with a dial caliper. I got tired of combing over the For Sales hoping to catch a clean '72 that was in my $$$ range. I gave up, this will have to do. 

An old Regina Oro 5-speed freewheel I already had hanging on a peg.  It's been used some. An Everest Special Oro chain from Scott Davis.  The hubs are actually not going on this bike. Dan Lestrud will be using these to build a new wheelset for the McLean and the set on the McLean will go to the Galmozzi with the addition of pre '78 quick-lease skewers.

The above referenced pre '78 skewers.

10 comments:

gabriel said...

that was an amazingly quick build, i had expected it ready for spring. very beautiful. It must be a joy to ride. give us a full report on it. looking forward to your color choice to paint the walls, though it is looking nice with the base coat. what is the source for the music?

Gunnar Berg said...

The build got away from me. I lost control. I have no idea if it is a joy to ride or not. Consider the recent picture my daughter posted of her bicycle on Facebook - she bought a car today. ;-) Winter is here, Spring must be just around the corner. -CKC

Music: In the last photo note the black box in the desk. It is a mini amp/CD player/radio/dock. Odean sings in a barbershop quartet. He provided part of the music during construction, but John kept cutting him off. Too bad, Odean can sing tenor down to bass. A remarkable voice.

Jonny Hamachi said...

There is definitely a Certain Classic Campagnolo feel to it's Look that is reminiscent of your past build lurking in my laboratory. I've said it before and it bears repeating: You have style, and I like it.

Right down to my Simplex levers.

Masini said...

Great great stuff! Angelo would be proud. And the Growlery looks like the kind of place I'd like to sit and chat someday! I'll bring the beer... or the Italian wine!

Gunnar Berg said...

@Jon, Thanks, they are sweet aren't they?

@Masini, I would like that very much. Seats three comfortably, five in a pinch. I got the beer covered. And I have to say that your photos were just stunning with the black background. A great bike. I'd trade in a heartbeat.

Silk Hope said...

Having Fun?

Gunnar Berg said...

Fun? Yeah. I think so. It warmed up this afternoon and I took the opportunity to stand under the dripping eaves of The Growlery and put on some exterior window framing and installed storm windows. I really know how to have a good time.

Justine Valinotti said...

I haven't heard of Galmozzi in ages, and have only seen a couple in person. But they were great bikes; I'm glad you restored that one. It looks like a slightly more subtle version of a vintage GIOS (which, I believe, was one of the most in-your-face Italian racing bikes ever made).

I,too, am eager to see how you paint your walls--and to find out what you listen to while painting them!

Silk Hope said...

Justine:

Between Masini, Berg and Gabus we might have all the Galmozzi's in the entire world. ;-)

Unknown said...

Guess you guys missed one. Just bought a red 58cm Galmozzi from Craigslist here in Portland, Oregon for $600. Can e-mail jim.bolivar@springfield.k12.or.us for pics.